Masterclass: Exploring Dystopia in Games
In this masterclass hosted by Elle Osili-Wood, you will hear from Gareth Damian Martin and Jörg Tittel as creators of two recently released games which explore dystopian futures from the perspective of a worker.
This event will explore:
• Games which are inherently political;
• How they critique dystopian futures which are grounded in the worries of the present;
• How games as a medium can allow the exploration of these ideas in unique ways;
• What gameplay mechanics are used in order for the games to effectively tell their narratives;
• How they have built immersive dystopian worlds.
Each creator will present how they created their game, the inspiration behind it, and how it evolved through production. You will get to see demonstrations of gameplay during their talk and learn insights into their experiences of developing a game within small teams and a strong creative vision.
These will then be followed by a group panel discussion.
Please note that our Reuben Gallery on the second floor will be open from 6:30pm should you wish to network and purchase drinks beforehand.
ABOUT THE SPEAKERS
HOST: Elle Osili-Wood
Elle Osili-Wood is an award-winning television presenter, specialising in entertainment. A warm, joyful on-screen presence, Elle's entertainment career has seen her named a BAFTA Breakthrough for her work at the BBC, and nominated for an ARIA as a presenter of Radio 4's Front Row. In addition, her extensive career in video games, presenting for brands like PlayStation and Xbox, as well as hosting the BAFTA Games Awards, has seen her named "one of the most influential women in games" by Google
Gareth Damian Martin
Gareth Damian Martin is a writer, designer and artist. Their first game, In Other Waters was widely praised by critics for its “hypnotic art, otherworldly audio and captivating writing” (Eurogamer). Their second, Citizen Sleeper, was equally critically acclaimed, nominated for multiple awards and its prose was named "some of the best in all of video games" (Waypoint). Gareth has been called “one of the most exciting indie talents around” (Eurogamer).”
Jörg is a writer, director, producer and designer of films, plays and games. Projects include graphic novel Ricky Rouse Has a Gun and sci-fi drama The White King starring Jonathan Pryce. He is currently producing the live action / painted animation A Winter’s Journey starring John Malkovich, the first feature to use Media Molecule’s Dreams to design and build its sets. The Last Worker, released on VR, consoles, PC (and to Playdate with the spin-off title Skew) in March 2023, was the only game in competition at the 78th Venice Film Festival. Starring Jason Isaacs, Olafur Darri Olafsson and Zelda Williams, among others, it is Jörg’s first collaboration with VR pioneers Wolf & Wood. Their second, the design and music driven PS VR2 game C-Smash VRS based on SEGA’s arcade and Dreamcast classic, is the first game published by Jörg’s new company RapidEyeMovers. The game was released on 23/06/2023 to great acclaim.
BAFTA is an arts charity that is open and welcoming to everyone. This means we want every visit to BAFTA 195 Piccadilly to be as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.
Please be advised:
- If you are attending one of our events at 195 Piccadilly and have access requirements, then please email email@example.com with as much notice as possible to discuss these with us.
- If you would prefer to speak to someone over the phone to discuss access requirements, please call our dedicated reception team on 020 7734 0022.
- If you are a wheelchair user then please email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your space alongside any accompanying guest(s), with as much notice as possible. Wheelchair spaces are available in the front row.
- If you are visually impaired and require seats in the front row, please email email@example.com to book your space alongside any accompanying guest(s), with as much notice as possible.
- Accompanying assistants, carers or companions can attend free of charge. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org ahead of the event to book this complimentary ticket.
- Please find a comprehensive Access Guide for our building HERE.
- Our newly developed building has been designed with accessibility in mind, and we have made improvements including adding an additional lift, widening doors and corridors, removing steps and ledges and installing disabled toilets on every floor. Working with Peter Connell Associates, we have made significant changes to improve accessibility, and we will engage with our audiences to continue to improve.
Terms and Conditions
By purchasing a ticket for this event, you agree to the terms and conditions listed below:
Please see here for our Academy Screenings and Events Code.
Please note, the use of professional photography or recording equipment is prohibited during this event.
|Seat Type||Ticket Type||Price|